Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Memphis

I don't know how it happened.

I don't really even know what happened.

I just know I was driving along and suddenly was transported to Memphis.

I think it's because it was warm today.  And because it was twilight.  And I was listening to the blues.

Oh, hell.  I don't know.

All I know is I was leaving work and had the windows down because it was nice out.  And I was listening to the blues (which is only something I listen to in the summer).  The breeze was blowing slightly through as I was singing along with one of my favorite songs: Riding With The King.  As soon as that song ended, another one started.  The beginning strains of the song started moaning across my radio.  And before I knew it, I was seeing Beale Street in my mind's eye.


I couldn't shake it.  It wasn't a bad thing, it was quite beautiful honestly.  I love Memphis.  I love the feeling when I'm there.  How everything feels.  The fact that the blues sounds like Memphis.  I've never been anywhere else that feels like Memphis.  I swear, due to all the history there you can almost feel a buzz in the air.  And, I don't know how to explain it but the Mississippi looks different there.  Oh, sure, it's still a large river here in Illinois but it somehow looks more majestic there.

I remember standing and looking at it during sunset while there in Memphis.  The sun glittered on the river and it looked gold.  It was the MISSISSIPPI.  Mark Twain's river.  The reason "Old Man River" was written and recorded.

And all of these thoughts were coming to mind and pestering me while this song played.  It was nice because for five minutes, I was in one of my favorite places on the planet.

1 comment: