Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cooking And Baking

Today was one of my days off this week.  Which means it's my one day to cook for the rest of the week.  I would like to say that this involves meticulous planning on my part.

It doesn't.

Usually it involves me sitting on the couch, suddenly sitting bolt upright shouting, "Crap!  What do I have in the kitchen?"

So I rush in, putter around, and throw something together.

At the moment I have chicken thighs marinating in some concoction that I pray tastes good.  Why?  I can't remember what the hell I put in it.  Unfortunately, if it tastes good, I won't be able to recreate it.

This is the way it always goes in my kitchen.  There's a flurry of bottles and jars.  And the end result, usually, is pretty tasty.  But I can't recreate it.  Ever.  You'd think I'd learn.

Now baking...that's an entirely different story.  I plan it out like a general going into war.  I always know how much butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda I have on hand.  As well as chocolate chips, eggs, cocoa powder and extracts.  I measure everything to a T and take notes if I tweak it.  I can always recreate what I bake.

I'm sure there's some psychological reason to it.  And, if I had time I'd try to figure it out.  Frankly I don't care.  I'm much more concerned if my dinner is going to taste good or not...

No comments:

Post a Comment